I hate to see a seller spend a lot of money on new carpet or paint, only to see them choose a hideous paint color and cheap plush carpet in an unappealing color. Here's a list of some specific action items that you can do to attract the most buyers to your home. Think of it as, "Updating to Sell Your DFW Home For Dummies". Why just DFW? I've been to a LOT of Model Homes in the DFW Metroplex. A LOT! These specific updates are found in every model home I've seen. Perhaps this list can pertain to many other markets as well...but you can bet buyers in DFW want to see these things:
Best "Bang for Your Buck" Updating Projects
2. NEUTRAL PAINT - USE WARM BEIGE COLORS! Choose warm cozy colors over white. Have a painting party and GET IT DONE!
3. REPLACE CARPET - CHOOSE "FRIEZE" CARPET OVER PLUSH. It's not much more expensive, but make a big impression on buyers! Ahhh...new carpet smell!
4. GRANITE COUNTERTOPS IN THE KITCHEN. Always a showstopper! This option is pricy for entry-level markets, but a must for $300K+
5. REPLACE BRASS FIXTURES - LIGHT, PLUMBING- WITH "OIL-RUBBED BRONZE" OR SATIN NICKEL. That's right, take down those "Hollywood light" strips in the bathrooms!
6. IF REMOVING WALLPAPER, SKIP TROWEL THE WALLS FOR AN UPDATED TEXTURE. So inexpensive, yet so chic! Your friendly Home Depot or Lowes representative will be happy to teach you how!Don't believe me? Visit any model home and take notes of what colors, fixtures, styles are popular. These are the most neutral, popular choices for buyers today. Or, better yet, open a Pottery Barn catalog...try to imitate the styles there with furniture you have.
Other tips for SERIOUS Sellers:
2. Invest in a few hours with A PROFESSIONAL HOME STAGER! Their job is to use what you have to help your home show at it's absolute BEST! There are TONS of great ones here in the metroplex! Let me refer you to one!
3. Don't have the time to do a great cleaning of your home each week? Then HIRING A HOUSEKEEPER to come frequently while your house is on the market could be money very well spent! Selling a house can be stressful enough. Hiring an extra pair of hands can be a lifesiver to those of you with full time jobs, kids or just a very busy household! And, with it looking so sparkly clean, it could very well mean LESS time spent on the market.
Are you looking to sell your home? Do you need a Collin County Realtor? Contact the Barron-Daugherty Team at d + b real estate for exceptional service - before, during and AFTER the transaction!
"Real Family. Real Estate."